This came from my friends at IET. P.G. Vargis says that their office has received reports of ten attacks on Christians in India in the last two weeks. Join us in praying for our Indian brothers and sisters.
M.P. India: Two tribal Christian women, aged 22 and 24, of which one of them seven months pregnant were gang-raped to avenge their refusal to leave the Christian faith. They, along with their families, had accepted Christ through the work of an Indian Evangelical Team missionary.
Both women said the gang rape was in retaliation for their families’ refusal to leave the Christian faith. Earlier that day, they said, the same men, whom they recognized as from the village, beat the husband of the younger woman and forced him to drink alcohol, while demanding that he renounce Christianity.
After the incident the women and their family members, all believers of the Indian Evangelical Team’s church in that village, were kept like house arrest by the culprits. They threatened more attacks and death if the matter was reported to the police. After two days, however, the women managed to escape the village and reported the incidents to the police. The police refused to register their cases as the men involved are politically powerful and belong to the frontal organizations of the ruling anti-Christian party in M.P. state.
Meanwhile, the Bajrang Dal, the local anti-Christian militant group, created a ruckus over the issue at the venue of the press conference. They said, “Christian community is changing everyone’s religion here. We will not tolerate this with our religion.”
The victim insisted they would never leave Christianity, whatever the consequences.
Please pray for:
1) The two women and their families.
2) For this small group of IET church believers. The village is remote and the believers continue to live in fear of further attacks.
3) For Brother P.G. Vargis, who oversees the area, and the IET regional leader, Pastor Chauhan.
4) For the attackers. As one of our missionaries prayed, “May these attackers carry the Bible instead of sticks to attack Christians.”
5) For justice. Pray that the governor of the state will force action to be taken.
6) For Indian Evangelical Team. There has been a significant increase in attacks in the last few months.
7) For South Asia. May His glory fill the earth as the waters cover the sea.